Aboriginal Ways of Knowing: Staff Professional Development Opportunities
Please check out these pro-d ideas below. Here is a great place to start:
Create to Learn: Create to Learn is pleased to offer this free online learning resource in partnership with imagineNATIVE. These video tutorials on digital skills and traditional knowledge using digital tools are all created by First Nations, Métis and Inuit artists and media makers to share their skills.
- Jo Chrona’s website explaining each of the principles – highly recommended
- First Peoples Principles of Learning with Dr. Martin Brokenleg – from SD27
Indigenous Knowledge and Perspectives – The BC Curriculum K-12: Indigenous Knowledge and Perspectives are intended to intersect with the curriculum in every area of learning at every grade level. “Indigenous Learning for Everyone: Every Day”. Here is where you can find references to Indigenous knowledge and perspectives throughout the BC curriculum.
Continuing Our Learning Journey: Indigenous Education in B.C. (A series of workshops on video – very highly recommended): professional development resource for teachers dedicated to Indigenous learning. These modules highlight the authentic Indigenous knowledge, perspectives and content in B.C.’s redesigned curriculum.
- Module 1: This introductory video provides an overview of Indigenous education in BC and explores challenging common assumptions about Indigenous learners.
- Module 2: In this second video, ways to use the First Peoples Principles of Learning to support and transform teaching are explored.
- Module 3: This third video discusses finding and using authentic First Peoples resources, as well as frequently asked questions with responses from B.C. educators.
- Conclusion: In the conclusion to the video modules, educators reflect on their Indigenous learning and invite their colleagues to continue to build an equitable education system for all learners.
Selkirk College – Indigenous 100 – Regional Perspectives on Languages & Culture (Starts October 15th, 2022 - Check with Selkirk for further offerings after this date)